Friday, September 21, 2012

Galway Trip: Cliffs of Moher

Okay so sorry that it took me a while to update my blog, but this trip, while amazing, was pretty exhausting.  I'm once again going to greatly break up this trip to avoid the appearance of incredibly long post.

Here we go!

We left Cork pretty promptly at 7:30am.  Unfortunately our bus was pretty uncomfortable so I didn't get any sleep, but I did watch a few episodes of Bones with Kayla before her battery gave out.

The Cliffs of Moher
Our first stop was the Cliffs of Moher.  For those of you who are Harry Potter fans you should see if these cliffs look familiar.  You all should also recognize them as the background for my blog.

Me at the Cliffs of Moher
We spent a whole hour there, which I think we were all thankful for because we took an incredible amount of photos trying to capture the beauty of the place.  Although I think, in the end, the Cliffs of Moher are just one of those places where the beauty is hard to capture.

Just a Cool Rock Formation at the Cliffs of Moher
To give a little bit of information about the cliffs I shall once again quote my syllabus:

"The limestone which characterizes much of the Burren was alter covered in thick sediments of sands and muds which later solidified into shale, flagstone, and sandstone.  These have since been eroded from the surface of the Burren itself, especially by the large ice sheets which advanced over the area during the various ice ages.  But just south of the Burren they survive to a depth of 330m and are spectacularly exposed due to sea erosion at the Cliffs of Moher."

No comments:

Post a Comment