Friday, August 24, 2012

Getting Oriented

Today Kayla, Montana, and I got to find our way to Boole Lecture Halls which was not labeled on the campus map, but luckily our assumption that they would be near the Boole Library proved correct.  Bonus points if you can guess who they were named after without any google searching.

The most interesting part of orientation was, in my opinion, the different Early Start Programme heads talking about the programs.  Besides my own, I think the best one is the Folklore one and the most boring one was the marketing...although, admittedly, this was the last one and it came right before our first break.

The other interesting parts were talking about the clubs and societies (although the student union's kinda, and by kinda I mean really, inappropriate video about sexual health was pretty entertaining).  I definitely want to join the international student group, but I think I'll have to wait until the fair to check out the other groups.  Although I'll definitely walk by the medieval reenactment society's table...

The presentation by the Chaplaincy was interesting too.  They seem to organize a lot of trips for people of all faiths (including those with none) as well as have free tea, coffee, and cakes on certain days.

While all of the presenters seemed very nice, one of them occasionally got really quiet and her nice voice took on a bit of a threatening tone.  Although, apparently, she had due cause as the police and immigration have already made complaints...

Me at the Main Quad
Anyways, the best part of the day was the campus tour.  Our tour guide was named Shane Luck and he was very nice and told us a lot about UCC traditions...including punching spongy trees (although now they're fenced off).

No comments:

Post a Comment