Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral and The Rebel Bookstore

Me at Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral
After a second awesome day of class Kayla, Montana, and I decided to find our way back to Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral.  Luckily, it was pretty easy to get from the Student Centre to Saint Fin Barre's, but we still did use the map to start out with.

At the top of Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral
It is a beautiful cathedral and so incredibly detailed.  I took so many photos that my epic camera battery finally started complaining (as did Kayla's actually), but I couldn't get over how incredible the cathedral was. We didn't actually set foot inside as you have to pay for that privilege, but we'll probably go back.

A Gargoyle
A Gargoyle
Montana and I got a crash course in church architecture from Kayla who just took a course on it recently.  So I learned about the foolish virgins, what gargoyles really are, and exactly what a buttress is.

A Relatively Typical Tombstone

A More Unique Tombstone
I think the most interesting part was seeing who was buried there.  The tombstones that I could make out the best seemed to mostly be of older men buried in the 1800s, but there were also two younger women who were the wives of military men buried there.  The most recent grave appeared to be the 1998 grave of the Bishop of Cork.  All of this made me think that it was quite an honor to be buried there.

After we finished with the cathedral, we still had time to kill before our tour of the library, so we set off to another point on our map: The Rebel Bookstore.  I think we all thought that the name was just a name (as UCC's mascots are The Rebels), but it turned out to be a bookstore with mainly things about revolutionary times.  I even picked up a few copies of Irish Anarchist Review.

Then we had our tour of the library, which was led by a very nice lady, but was a little too long for my taste, but after that it was another nice evening of hanging out with my flatmates.

1 comment: