Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wandering Cork

Now that I have gotten some more sleep  (13 hours actually, but considering I didn't sleep at all on the plane due to the kids behind me kicking my seat into upright position, that isn't a lot), I'm ready to post more about Cork!

Lead the way!
Lead the way!
Today a group of us walked into Cork City Centre to explore and do a little shopping.  While the shopping part did not work out so well for some of us, we did get to see a lot of the city, and the shopping was fixed with a run to Tesco.  It is incredibly beautiful here.  Everything is so green and looking at the patchwork hills is something I think I'll never get tired of seeing.  Even with the grey, cloudy sky Cork appears a cheerful place with a lot of stuff to do.


Me at the Memorial
Me at the Memorial

The river and yes I did take this photo myself :P
The river, and yes I took this photo :P
We walked by some beautiful churches and cathedrals and passed what I'm pretty sure is statue to commemorate those who died in Ireland's battle for independence.  I think my favorite thing that we saw though was the river.  Even though we might not have always been taking the most direct route, it was always fun to see everything.

The Court House
The Courthouse
Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral
Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral
The English Market
I also really loved the English Market, the Court House, and Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral but was a bit too tired to appreciate them.  Thus I have started a list of things to see/go back to when I am less jet lagged:
Cork Butter Museum
Court House
Opera House
River
Saint Fin Barre's Cathedral
Saint Fin Barre's Cemetery
The English Market

Hopefully I'll get to see some of these things this weekend as tomorrow is taken up by orientation, but the rest of the weekend is free!

It'll be nice if either of my two new roommates, Kyla (yes we have a Kyla and a Kayla) or Julia, decide to join Kayla, Montana, and me on our adventures, especially as now Montana and I know how to use the 208 bus which takes us into Cork City Centre.  We're all from the US, and while Kayla, Julia, Montana, and I are here for Early Start Programmes, Kyla is here for an internship.

Tonight I'm looking forward to makeshift dinner with Kayla and Montanna that will be made out of the preliminary groceries that we got from Tesco.  I'm thinking cereal and some bread and butter...

2 comments:

  1. sound like you're having fun adventures! continue to have more fun adventures and tell us about them =)
    ~kimisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Cork with the rest of us via your photos and more!

    ReplyDelete