Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ring of Kerry Tour: Killorgin, Dingle Bay, & Waterville

All Hail the Goat
Since I took so many photos that I really wanted to post, I've decided to split them up into different posts to avoid an incredibly long one.  After leaving Killarney, we headed to Killorgin (by the way we learned that when towns start with 'Kil' it means 'Church of').  We learned that when the British troops came to attack the town, they scared the mountain goats who fled into the town.  This gave the town a warning and allowed them to fend off the attack.  Now there is something called Puck Fair Festival each year where local men go out and catch a mountain goat and place it on top of a pub.  Our tour guide said it was fun and there is always a lot of drink.

Dingle Bay
We then got to pull over and take photos of the gorgeous Dingle Bay.  The only thing I wish was different was that there were dolphins present.  I've never seen a dolphin outside of an aquarium or zoo, but it was still a great stop to make.

Me and the Tramp
Then we were off to Waterville for lunch.  Waterville is a picturesque little town where a certain actor vacationed.  If you can't recognize him from the photo of me with his statue, it was Charlie Chaplin.  His family still owns the house that he did there and still frequents the town.

Waterville's Beach
Wee!
Waterville is on Ballinskelligs Bay which is beautiful.  Montana and I went down to the beach and I once again had the urge to watch the Secret of Roan Inish.  The rocks on the beach were beautiful and a grabbed two to bring back with me.  After many a try, Montana was able to snap a picture of me jumping off the rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment