Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday Morning Fire

The Fire Brigade (Photo Totally Stolen from Kyla)
This morning I, and I assume most people on my block, were awoken by the fire alarm at about 7:45am.  I think we all at first assumed, as we shoved shoes on and attempted to find a jacket while half asleep, that someone had burned toast again.  After waiting outside for a good chunk of time with no staff members coming, a few of us eventually learned that there had actually been a fire but that it was out.  However, one of the people putting out the fire had burned herself in the process.  People went and knocked on the warden's door and called him to no avail, then my roommate Kyla called 999 (Ireland's 911).  I was most amused when I heard her go "Uhhhh," which she then explained was her response to being asked if we wanted the garda, fire department, an ambulance, or the coast guard.

The warden did eventually show up just ahead of the fire brigade.  All in all it took us about 45 minutes to get back inside.  I was most concerned that a) it looked like most people hadn't left, b) people kept going back in, c) we still needed to press the door release to get out while the fire alarm was going off, and d) c) means that the fire department has no way of getting into the building or any rooms without a warden (who took a long time) or without breaking down every door.

But the girl with the burns went off to get treatment and the rest of us were okay except for having our sleep interrupted.

When we could finally go back inside I think a lot of us went back to sleep...and I know a few of us slept far too long...oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment