Saturday, October 20, 2012

Voting and Other Legalities

This past Monday I finally sent in my absentee ballot.  Illinois actually sent it to me twice (via email and snail mail).  I guess they really wanted me to vote.  I was delaying posting about voting because I was hoping to have successfully registered with the Garda, immigration, on Thursday.  However when I got there around 1:35 (the place is closed 12:00-2:00), there were about 15 people ahead of me.  The signs around clearly said that it took at least 10 minutes per person and that people would not be helped after four.  This was actually my second attempt to register (the first time I brought the wrong letter), but I decided to try some other time rather than wait around for two hours to be rejected.  I'm not considering not registering at all as the next time they'll see my passport I'll be heading out of the country, but we'll see.

Me Voting Absentee
Back to voting though.  Most of the people I've met here have been liberal-leaning like myself, but I have met a few conservatives.  However, I've also met people who don't plan to vote which I find kind of disheartening.  I know that it is easy to become disappointed in our politicians or even in our whole system (I mean how many of the past Illinois governors have gone to jail?), but staying entirely out of the system and not trying to make any changes to it doesn't seem to be the way to go.  Also when I'm reminded what some people had to do to vote and what is at stake for this election, I can't imagine not voting.

2 comments:

  1. You are righteous! Yay for voting! And yay for voting in your first presidential election!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are righteous! Yay for voting! And yay for voting in your first presidential election!

    ReplyDelete