Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Brookfield Health Sciences Complex

Brookfield Health Sciences Complex
Every Tuesday night between 6:00pm and 8:00pm I have a history class in the Brookfield Health Sciences Complex.  Why it is held there remains a mystery.  However, the building is very nice and even has a cafe.  It is also very close to my apartment which makes going to and from there easier.  However, since one of my classes on Tuesday has ended I have a four hour gap before this history class and I'm finding it harder to get myself motivated to go.  Although, I'm definitely not the only person feeling this because it seems fewer and fewer people show up each week.  And usually about a third to a half of the people who do show up leave half way through the class during our break (which I actually find rather rude).

Closer Up (Not Sure What the Deal is with the Pillars)
I wonder if this has something to do with how the class is structured.  Introduction to Irish History for Visiting Students is a massive lecture class, so the professor won't know if you specifically are missing but the professor definitely notices when about half the class is.  However, our professor rotates every two weeks or  so which means that if our professor has a bad first lecture, very few show up for the next one.  The nice thing about having professors rotate is that we get a broad range of topics introduced to us.  The bad thing is that we have very little consistency in how the classes are taught.  Sometimes this is good though, but only when a bad professor is rotating out.

While this was the course that I was least excited for, I am getting a lot out of it.  I learned a great deal about the famine and most recently I've learned a good deal about food culture here.  Overall I'm glad I decided to take this course, even if it turned out its test day is the same as my folklore class.

No comments:

Post a Comment