Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weekend in Dublin: Lunch, Wandering, & Dinner

After the museum Kayla and I were hungry so we set out to find a place my guidebook recommended, the Cake Cafe.  This took us on another lovely stroll through Saint Stephen's Green.  We had been warned that the Cake Cafe could be a little hard to find, but with the help of my map and my memory of the picture on Google maps, we found it.

Mmmmmmmmm
It was a lovely little cafe, although we did have to sit outside because the inside was full.  But Kayla and I got huge tasty sandwiches for a very reasonable price.  When Jen joined us we all got slices of cake (how could we not at a place called Cake Cafe).  I got sponge cake and it was rather tasty.  Oh and I was also very amused at their slogan: prepare to meet your baker.

Grafton Street
After lunch we just wandered around a bit, heading into a few second hand shops.  Then Jen led us to Grafton Street.  This street was packed and had tons of shops.  Some were familiar like McDonalds and the Disney Store but we also saw people selling Irish fireman calendars for charity.

Kayla at the Book Sale
We then wandered around the Temple Bar area and found a book fair.  There were a ton of books in no particular order.  But at one stand Kayla, Jen, and I talked with the guy running it.  We talked a fair bit about politics and by the end of our conversation we derived a plan for how the four of us could rule the world (I got the US).

Dublin at Night
After we said bye to Jen, Kayla and I were pretty exhausted so we headed back to our hostel and checked into our new room.  We mostly spent the evening relaxing and watching TV, but we did venture out at night to get some food from the nearby Eddie Rockets (exactly like Johnny Rockets).  There we met a slightly crazy guy who attempted to tell me that no one died on 9/11.  I was very glad we were getting food for take away.

When we got back to our hostel we ate our food and then we met one of our four roommates for the night.  He was a 68 year old Harley rider who just retired after working for 22 years at a hospital.  I could honestly go on and on about him as he was very chatty.  It wasn't until much much later that our other three roommates showed up.  Kayla and I honestly don't know if they were French or Spanish as we were always only half awake when hearing them speak.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely books and lovely cake - what more could anyone want? (Maybe some of the other Dublin adventures you've described!)

    ReplyDelete