Saturday, November 17, 2012

Failing to Register & Wandering

So I was told when I arrived in Ireland that I would have three months to register with immigration at the Garda office within three months.  I went twice before, but once I brought the wrong letter and the other time I knew that there were too many people ahead of me for me to be helped before it closed.

This time I went earlier, only stopping at the Chaplaincy to get my Thanksgiving dinner ticket, and got in line. I read a few stories about Banshees and patiently waited in line.  I was relieved that I was called before they went to lunch (which sort of seems silly to me but whatever).  I hand all my paperwork to the woman behind the desk, she looks at my passport and tells me that I have permission to stay until I leave.  Great.  At least I didn't have to pay the fee (which doubles from 150 euro to 300 euro on Monday).

The View from the Pizza Place, Fast Al's
Since I was downtown I was determined to make a day of it.  So I spent the day wandering about the city.  I got a slice of pizza and then a loaf of bread.  The bakery had just opened so it had a deal that all the bread was only a euro.  I then went and wandered through bookstores looking for gifts.  I did manage to find one for a friend and one for me.  The book I got for myself was 100 Pretentious Nursery Rhymes.

Here is one of my favorites:
An omnivorous mammal of the
family Ursidae,
Fuzzy Wuzzy was its moniker.
Fuzzy Wuzzy was as bald as a coot,
Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't hirsute.
Was he?

The Onion Seller, a Random Statue I Found

A Random Market I Found
Overall the random wandering made getting up early and waiting in line worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment